It’s been a while since I pulled an all-night coding binge, but last night that counter was reset to zero. The fruits of that labor are a modestly improved look to the Doom Classic modes under the Doom 3 BFG edition which was recently open-sourced.
Here’s a before/after screenshot pair demonstrating the improved colors for lighting (click for full view):
It takes a keen eye to spot some differences, but the effect should be apparent overall while playing the game for an extended period of time, especially while visiting darker areas in-game. Take a close look at the entryway on the left side and also at the brighter brown wall on the right side.
The Doom Classic modes under BFG are simply ports of the original Doom engine, complete with the old software renderer. It seems they patched up the renderer to scale the original resolution of 320×200 up by a factor of 3x to 960×600. The main game engine (doom3bfg.exe) simply takes the 8bpp palettized framebuffer rendered each frame from the DoomClassic library and updates a texture with its contents, to be presented to the user in the main game window.
While I was perusing the code, I found, by happenstance, this
typedef byte lighttable_t; line with these comments above it:
// This could be wider for >8 bit display. // Indeed, true color support is possible // precalculating 24bpp lightmap/colormap LUT. // from darkening PLAYPAL to all black. // Could even use more than 32 levels. typedef byte lighttable_t;
This looks like a conversation between developers via code comments (with my own edits to fix spelling), but the way they did the import to git caused all authoring history to be lost, probably on purpose, so we don’t know who’s talking to whom here.
Regardless, what they’re saying here is essentially that
lighttable_t, which is used to store palette index lookups based on light levels, could be made to be larger (e.g. 32 bits) to support true color (24bpp with no alpha), with a few additional code changes to generate said light maps and look up the raw RGB colors instead.
The way the engine works is that there is a 256 color palette stored in the main IWAD file in the
PLAYPAL lump. All textures and sprites in the game data refer to colors in this main palette. However, there is lighting to be taken into consideration. The engine has to darken the colors referred to in textures and sprites according to the surrounding light level and z-distance. This is done with a light map, from the
COLORMAP lump, which is simply an optimized palette lookup table for 32 distinct light levels. Each light level has a 256-entry lookup table which tells it which color from the 256 color palette best matches the original color darkened to the light level. Of course it won’t be perfect since there are only 256 colors able to be displayed on the screen at one time, so you’ll get some color shifting effects and other quantization effects here. But overall, the result is rather impressive for 1994-era technology!
What I’ve done is (mostly) removed the need for the
COLORMAP lump and gone straight to calculating the raw RGB colors from the
PLAYPAL palette based on the light levels. This way you get direct 24bpp color from the engine. Of course, our colors are still limited to what’s available in the original palette so the source material hasn’t changed, only our rendering is improved.
The light levels available are from 0 to
NUMCOLORMAPS is 32. According to some comments in the code, light level 0 is full brightness and level 31 is full darkness. I was able to easily increase
NUMCOLORMAPS from 32 up to 64, giving more distinct colors and a smoother lighting look. I was not able to increase
NUMLIGHTLEVELS though; there’s something crazy going on with the code related to that constant.
The part that made this all (relatively) easy was that the
neo/framework/common_frame.cpp code which projects the 8bpp screen to the 32bpp texture is very simple and does the palette lookup itself. I left this code mostly the same, except I changed the
screens array to store larger integers instead of
I extended the
XColorMap array from 256 entries to
256 * NUMCOLORMAPS entries which essentially makes it a larger palette of 16,384 colors instead of just 256 colors. I modified the
I_SetPalette method to precalculate all the 16,384 colors based on the original 256 colors.
The rest of the work involved making sure that all the rendering code could handle a wider screen element integer size than
byte. There were lots of hard-coded assumptions that the element size would be a byte, apparent in several
I did encounter some problems that didn’t allow me to fully skip loading the
The primary problem was with the fuzz effect for spectres and your gun (and also other invisible players in network mode). The problem is that the effect uses a specific colormap (#6) from the
COLORMAP lump to “dither” the onscreen colors, which produces an effect that isn’t easy to reproduce with a simple calculation. After failing twice or thrice to reproduce this effect, I finally resorted to just bringing back the original
COLORMAP and doing a little bit twiddling on the
colormapindex_t values read from the screen to keep the light levels consistent.
The other problem was the inverted color effect (only used when the player picks up an invulnerability sphere). I just had to import the colormap at index 32 from the lump to get this to work and also update the
INVERSECOLORMAP to be
NUMCOLORMAPS since it’s now 64 instead of 32. Just a little table translation there.
There appear to be two extra colormaps in the lump that I’ve not accounted for so I’m just ignoring them. The game plays and looks great now. Admittedly, the red- and green-tint effects don’t look as good as they used to for some reason. I’ll have to check that out. The effect comes across, but it gets too dark further in the distance.